Wisdom Tip Bucket Economics Protocol
Wisdom tips! Tip Bucket Economics? Tip Bucket! What images do those two words conjure up for you! A handout for pay beyond the price of the service or meal you are already paying for? A tip jar? No, we are offering you something for free – tips that can guide and aid you in your daily lives. As we become aware of them, from the many and varied sources, we will just “dump” them into our Tip Bucket. As we add ours, we would also like to add those that you might contribute through our “Comments” box below or through the provided e-mail link.
The Tip Bucket will, hopefully, contribute to your daily lives through humor and usefulness. Both purposes are worthwhile goals.
From the Holy Bible
1Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.
How can I welcome correction when it hurts? (12:1)
Swallowing our pride and choking down the hard truth about ourselves is never easy. But the wise person will sift through the chaff for the grain of truth. Being able to accept criticism is a sure sign of a growing, emotionally healthy person. The Quest Study Bible, New International Version (NIV), Copyright 1994 by the Zondervan Corporation, All rights reserved. NIV Proverbs 12:1.
8A man is praised according to his wisdom, but men with warped minds are despised.
The Quest Study Bible, New International Version (NIV), Copyright 1994 by the Zondervan Corporation, All rights reserved. NIV Proverbs 12:8.
9Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food.
Should I think of myself as a nobody?
The advice is to accept ourselves as we are, giving up the charade of trying to pretend we’re something we’re not. Living within our means is better than spending what we don’t have and ending up financially strapped. The Quest Study Bible, New International Version (NIV), Copyright 1994 by the Zondervan Corporation, All rights reserved. NIV Proverbs 12:9.
15The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.
How can I make a wise decision? (12:15)
Wise decisions flow from a reservoir of spiritual wisdom: they are made by wise people – those who honor and fear God (1:7, 2:6). Nevertheless, Proverbs outlines certain principles that characterize the choices made by wise people: Wise decisions are made with the advice and instruction of others (9:9; 11:14). They stem from a life of discipline and obedience (10:8; 29:11). Some of the basic qualities that help shape wise decisions include peace, humility and a conciliatory attitude (10:19; 11:2; 16:14). Also see Why make a decision if God always has the final say? (16:1-9). The Quest Study Bible, New International Version (NIV), Copyright 1994 by the Zondervan Corporation, All rights reserved. NIV Proverbs 12:15.
23A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly.
Is it best to just always keep quiet? (12:23)
See article: Can my mouth ruin my life? (10:18-21). The Quest Study Bible, New International Version (NIV), Copyright 1994 by the Zondervan Corporation, All rights reserved. NIV Proverbs 12:23.
Some Abbreviated Sayings of Wisdom
- When you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.
- If you roll with pigs, you’re going to get muddy.
- When you walk in the gutter, it’s hard to not track some of it home.
- When you play in the sewer, it’s hard to get rid of the stink.
- The chickens will come home to roost.
- Birds of a feather flock together.
- An empty bag can’t stand upright.
- Money is a good servant, but a bad master.
- Bad weeds grow tall.
- A leopard can’t change its spots.
- Empty vessels make the most sound.
- You’re painted with the same brush.
25 Phrases of Wisdom
2. Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
3. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a mechanic.
4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
5. If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you’ve never tried before.
6. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
7. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
8. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.
10. If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
11. Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
12. A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
13. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
14. Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.
15. No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
16. A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
17. Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
18. Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
19. Junk is something you’ve kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.
20. There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
21. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
22. By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.
23. Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.
24. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
25. Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.